Discussions

Welcome to the Resource Café Community International Fundraising Congress 2016! Single fundraiser desperate to start a middle-major-legacy strategy w/ no budget

3 replies, 2 voices Last updated by Profile photo of Meg Gardner Meg Gardner 7 months, 2 weeks ago
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Stephanie Simpson
    Participant
    @Stephanie_Simpson
    • You are alone.
    • not even an intern to help you.
    • your sector is not in a mature fundraising market
    • your NGO/foundation has given you totally crazy objectives or has unrealistic expectations
    • your NGO/foundation is in deficit and recruited you to “SAVE” them…

let’s share !

Profile photo of Meg Gardner
    Meg Gardner
    Participant
    @Margaret_Battistelli_Gardner

Hi, Stephanie! I’m not specifically a fundraiser, but I’ve spoken with lots of people over the years who have been in this situation. The thing that jumps out at me immediately at reading your post is the fourth bullet point. One thing I have heard over and over (and over and over …) from fundraisers is the importance of expectations management. The first conversation seems to have to be with the board or foundation or whoever is calling the shots to set realistic expectations and definitions of “success.” It may mean doing research into what other orgs of your size, budget, mission, location. etc., are doing so that you can give the powers that be a good idea of what is reasonable. Include “stretch” goals as well, of course, but make it a point to really outline the do-able goals.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of Meg Gardner Meg Gardner.

Stephanie Simpson
    Participant
    @Stephanie_Simpson

Thanks Meg! This is actually what I did recently via a pro bono marketing agency that came in a board meeting to explain “realistic” goals in fundraising and how it is done elsewhere, in similar organisations… It needs to mature now… The board (high egoes) don’t “bite” on the first presentation, and still think they know better… but figures will speak in the end!

Stéphanie

Profile photo of Meg Gardner
    Meg Gardner
    Participant
    @Margaret_Battistelli_Gardner

I’d love to hear more about how this goes, Stephanie!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.